Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chin up


Keep your chin up. Think positive. Hope for the best.

Easy to say, not so easy to do. I was playing Mario SuperBrothers on my boyfriend's Wii this past week, and it made me realize that it's a lot like life. You've got all sorts of obstacles to overcome, enemies/problems to defeat, and when you finally make it (beat the level) you move on to yet another level. You can't even stand still. If you do, eventually you're time runs out and you die. Some obstacles are easy, some are really tough. Even when you beat the whole game and you think "Ah-ha! I've done it! I win, I'm finished!" the game restarts - your new challenge is to play the whole game again, except that all the Goomba's (the easiest enemies) have been transformed into Beetles (harder to defeat).

That's how I feel about life. It feels like everytime I get through one problem or one hard time, there's another one lined up. Think positive, right? I admit it helps to do so, but it saps my energy to keep telling myself, "It's ok, you're fine, you'll make it through this like all the rest....." I can't help but hear the little voices in my head follow up with "..because you have to. You have no choice. And there'll be something else right after this one." Would most people in the US say they were happy? At least content with life? I can't help but think that that does not reflect the true nature of our lives, instead the natural instinct to survive is intrinsic - most of us are born with a zest for life because we need it to survive.

Then again, 7 out of 17 people just got laid-off in my group at Sun Microsystems, and it definitely made me depressed for the last week. This was one of the bigger obstacles, what's coming tomorrow?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the way you have compared getting through the levels of life to a video game. I see a lot of that around my house! I guess the best way to "stay positive" is to look at the bigger end-goal rather than focusing beating just the next level. I think that is what drives my boys in their gaming - they want to beat the game.

We may not be able to beat life, but we can live each day like it counts. Thanks for sharing!