Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Surfing is akin to Meditation

I'm happy. I go surf.
I'm confused. I go surf.
I'm bored. I go surf.
I'm pissed. I go surf.

In almost all cases, no matter what my mood and mindset was before going to surf, I come out of the water feeling refreshed, energized, and yet mellow all at the same time. In my head I sometimes hear a cheesy line my D.A.R.E teacher used to say: "I'm high on life!" It makes me smile to think of how lame that line is, yet how true it can be after a good surf session.

A good surf session. Good is the key word in that sentence, because after a poor surf session I feel the opposite of zen - frustrated. It's probably the same feeling guys get when they get blue balls from a tease that won't give them any play. You go in expecting a great time, only to get refused the whole time. What a gyp!

I liked how one guy said in his blog that when you are a surf addict you often feel a "Loss of sexual motivation: you are tired and you do not want to spend your energy in other 'sports'." Haha! However, he then says "
What is your problem men?" Come on guys, how can you forget about all us surfer girls out in the water too?? I guess his surf addiction is so strong that he doesn't even notice all the cute surfer chicks in their bikini's, paddling right in front of him. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does your surfing fix work better in the summer, when the water is warm (but crowded) or in the winter, when you are more likely to have the waves to yourself?

Too bad I don't surf; wish I did!

Janie said...

Well Becky, I'm glad you asked! :)

Personally, it works better in the summer usually. The warm water is such a big plus it's worth the crowds (but just barely). It's easier to get in a ZEN mode of mind when my teeth aren't chattering.

Thanks for the comment!