Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Hi, Farty!"

Alright, time to add my own story to the thousands of "How I made a fool of myself on a conference call" stories.

Time: 10 am.
Place: My house.
What: I dialed in to a conference call for my work. There were about 10 people on the phone. I was the only woman on the call. As usual, we all took turns announcing our presence on the call. As usual, I said "This is Janie, I'm here." As usual, I then put my phone on mute so I would only listen for the rest of the call. Or So I thought! Instead, I forgot to my phone on mute. My roommate's cat then walked into my room, and I made obnoxiously loud kissing sounds at it and then said in a falsetto voice, "Hi, Farty!!". Suddenly the speaker on the call went silent in the middle of his sentence and I thought, "Uh oh...why did they get quiet right after I said that? I hope it wasn't because I'm not muted!"

I checked my phone. I was NOT muted. Everyone heard me make slopping kissing sounds to someone I called "Farty". Remember, I'm the only woman on the call, it was obvious I was Farty's kisser.

After an awkward silence, the speaker said "Uhh....yeah....." and continued.

Thank god it wasn't a video conference, otherwise everyone would have seen me turn bright red.

No comments: