Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Surfing and Sunscreen



I just got out of the water, and it was amazingly warm! This was the first day of the year that I was able to go surfing with just a swimsuit, not even a wet-top! Nothing clears my mind and centers me like surfing. It's so "zen" out there, the happiness I feel after a good surf session equals the feeling I get after meditating for a long time. And surfing is a lot more fun than meditating. ;)

Soooo, one of my pet peeves is "waterproof" sunscreen that is NOT waterproof, only water resistant. I tried out a lot of the major sunscreen brands that were labeled as waterproof, only to be frustrated when the sunscreen dripped into my eyes, making it hard to see and less enjoyable to be surfing. Here's my top 3 favorite active-watersport sunscreens:

1. Bullfrog: There's many different types of Bullfrog sunscreen, all the one's I've tried are good. Use this on your face. As always, the higher SPF the better. This is VERY different from most sunscreens - instead of being a cream, this sunscreen is based in alcohol. When you put it on your face (hold your breath!) it dries within seconds. This is great when you're going in the water right away.
*Update: I just learned that there is a special Bullfrog sunscreen for surfers! It's called "Bull Frog Sunblock Surfer Formula" and it supposedly stays on longer than the normal Bullfrog. Can't wait to try it out!

2. Coppertone UltraGUARD, which provides both UB and UBA protection. (anti-burn and anti-aging)

3. Coppertone sunscreen for babies. The sunscreen doesn't stay on as well as Bullfrog, but I can't feel it when it gets in my eyes because it's "sting free".

Enjoy!

No comments: